POST BACHELOR OF DENTAL SCIENCE IN US
After finishing under graduation in dental science many international students would have dreamt to pursue further studies in the US, but no idea about the programs and Eligibility criteria for further studies in Dental science at the US!
So, here we can start to explore the programs and eligibility criteria for further studies in Dental Science in the US as an international student.
The USA is becoming the most popular destination for International dental students for higher education in Dental Science. As international undergraduate dental students cannot get direct permission to pursue further higher education in dental science and also this degree is not recognized by the commission of Dental Accreditation.
As international undergraduate dental students have to appear a few exams and courses are required to pursue further studies in the US those exams, courses and its cost are mentioned below:
- In order to practice dental science in US, international undergraduate dental students have to join doctor of dental science DDS or doctor of dental medicine DDM courses which are equal degrees of four years or international Dentist programme for two year which is lead to DDS Degree through this degree you accredited by the Commission on Dental A Accreditation.
- The annual average expenses of doctor of dental science DDS or doctor of dental medicine DDM courses would be around the US $ 11,000 and for IDP course might charge more.
- To get DDS Degree as international undergraduate dental students have to clear certain exams such as National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part-1 and Part-2 Exams and obtaining a minimum score in IELTS/TOEFL, they would be given admission either in the first year of DDS/DDM or IDP. Some institution offers admission into 2nd year of DDS/DDM students those who are with a high GPA. These Exams are conducted by the joint commission on National Dental Examination.
- The NBDE part-1 exam will be charged around the US $ 1,200, excluding coaching and airfares.
- The process of NBDE Part-1 exam the international dental students should get their dental degrees verified by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) this agency prepares evaluation reports to identify US Equivalents of educational qualification earned in other countries. The charges for ECE are between the US $85 to $165.
- In the US, as international undergraduate dental students to practice dental science required the licensure by the individual states, districts, and dependencies. The licensure varies from state to state and few licenses will be valid only with the respective geographical areas.
There are three requirements to get the licensure in the United States as an international dental student such as
- The international dental student should have obtainment of DDS, DDM degrees which are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- As an international dental student should clear the computer-based national board dental examination ((NBDE) Part-1 and Part-2 Exams.
- The international dental students have to clear a clinical examination which administered by the state or regional testing agency through these three examinations, they can get into various dental educational institutions which are accredited by the CODA.
The major post graduation courses in dental science from the US are mentioned below:
- Oral Science
- Public Health
- Oral Biology
- Oral Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Dental Hygiene
- Dental Education
- Dental Materials
The other Alternative courses to post-graduation dental science
- Advanced Certificate in Endodontic
- Advanced Certificate in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Advanced Certificate in Orthodontics
- Advanced Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry
- Advanced Certificate in Periodontics Advanced Certificate in Prosthodontics
- Advanced Certificate in Temporomandibular Disorders and Orofacial Pain